Saturday, April 24, 2010

NOTES FOR 4.25.2010


(Todays Mixing Session Above)

What a great day! Its so nice out, and im not even going out. Just soaking up the cool breeze into the studio...and havin an old fashion mixin session. Im so stoked to have my new studio monitors, I can finally mix again...and with all the things I picked up on EQing over the last month...it was a fucking blast. Before, I had a broken tweeter and didnt even know it (just thought the speakers sucked). Anyway, a few notes for today -

Using the EQ 8 and automating the placement markers is better than filters for 2 reasons. One, the spectrum is bigger and easier to see than the small filters. Also, I always have an EQ 8 and a spectrum on each track anyway, so I am saving CPU.

Another note on that...when building sweeps on top of each other, since they are moving across the spectrum, its nice to apply an automated filter to cut out the unneeded frequencies of each so they dont clash at all. This way, the peaks of each sweep are at different points of the spectrum at the same time. It really cleaned them up....I was really surprised.

DONT EVER. EVER... put 2 different guitar tracks within the same track. I was using sample based guitar hits, and had separate parts going on at different points in the song, but within the same track. The EQing will be separate depending on the other parts of the music...so separate them into tracks when making them. Just makes it easier when you get to the mixing stage.

Clear out all unused effects you may have had in the template. Saves a lot of CPU.

Use UTILITY and not the MIXER volume when automating volume. Its too hard to mix tracks later. I need to have full control over all my track volume faders later after EQing because certain elements really start to cut through the mix without actually applying volume. Its better to use the utility. I knew this, but I havent been doing it. From now on, I will.

I need to put spectrum and EQ 8 in each track for my template. Will save time later.

Pay close attention to high frequencies sitting on real instrument samples. There is always a lot of noise on them. Apply a noise gate, or roll the frequencies off if not needed. I try to leave my HIGHEST frequency open for 1 or 2 instruments that really need to sparkle through, and then cut all the other sounds that dont really need it.

Be careful when applying abletons built in reverb. You will notice high frequency noise sounds sometimes. Use the filter on the reverb (low pass) to make them disappear. You really only notice when you solo the track, but cleaner is better.

I had a problem today when using a sub bass audio file. I had made an audio file out of a synth I made, and had chopped it up. I wanted to transpose it down 5 semi tones, but when I did that, since the wave is slowing down so much, it almost sounded as if the groove had changed. It took me forever to realise that it was just the transposition in BEATS mode warping. I switched it to tones, and it was ok, however it sounded a little detuned. In the future, I want to stick with midi on the bass tracks if I am going to be transposing them, because at least then I will have better control over envelopes and prevent this from happening.

Also, once you start mixing your high frequencies...and they really start standing out on their own...you will start to notice stale repetitive loops that just dont sound so good. It is a good chance to dig into your delay bucket and apply a few delays on different parts of them to change up that loopy feel.

Well, thats it for mixing today. I had a good session with some guitar players last night....good mixing session today...I think I will eat some lunch, and then do some synthesis tonight. Even though the weather is nice, I dont feel like going out there!

Peace!

FroBot

No comments:

Post a Comment